Sunday 25 March 2012

Bread glorious bread

This is the first gluten free loaf I’ve made from scratch, in my new breadmaker - a Panasonic model which has a gluten free setting. (I was pretty excited to learn this). It’s made using a recipe which comes with the instruction booklet, plus a couple of tweaks by me. It is: gluten free, dairy free and vegan.  


The first slice? Crunchy crust, with a soft warm centre. I chose to slather it not with butter (regrettable, but I’m moving away from that era) but with organic, raw, cold pressed coconut oil. This oil is made within hours of the nut being open, so retains a slight coconut-y flavour and smell. (I also did my research, and bought from a brand that pays above the minimum fair-trade wage, and is conscious of the environmental aspects of coconut harvesting). I then drizzled raw organic honey (I’m no longer being vegan here) and enjoyed immensely. A nice addition would’ve been a sprinkling of cinnamon powder…


2 comments:

  1. sure! You can find the inspiration for this recipe on glutenfreegodess.blogspot.com.au but I modified it to this:

    3 Cups of mixed gf flours: 1 Cup tapioca starch and then a mix of whatever else is around! I used some corn meal flour, some besan flour, some store bought gf flour.
    2 tspn guar gum
    1 1/2 tspn salt
    couple of Tbspn psyllium husks (I guess - I just shook some in!)
    1 sachet yeast. mix together in a bowl.

    Into the breadmaker put:
    1 1/4 C warm water
    3 Tbpsn olive oil
    1 Tspn honey
    1/2 tspn lemon juice
    2 eggs worth of not-egg.

    Add dry ingredients, turn on breadmaker.
    After about ten minutes, lift the lid (don't stop it) and scrape down the sides if it needs it.
    :)

    ReplyDelete